Professor Dickon Hayne
Fremantle Hospital (Surgery)
- Contact details
- Surgery (Fremantle Hospital)
The University of Western Australia (M704)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 9431 2500
- MB BS St Mary's Lond., MD Lond., FRCS, FRACS
- Medical degree (MBBS) St Mary’s Hospital, London 1994; Basic Surgical Training in London (FRCS (Eng) 1998). Research Fellow University College London - doctorate in medicine (MD) 2003. Specialist Training West Midlands, UK (FRCS Urol) 2006. Appointed Professor of Urology University of Western Australia Jan 2009.
- Key research
- Urological oncology. I seek to advance research into urological cancers (particular bladder and prostate cancer) drawing upon my clinical and research based experience in minimally invasive surgery and medical technology, treatment related morbidity, cancer epidemiology and cancer service provision.
- Open partial nephrectomy: An ideal modular based training operation?
Lok A, Lewis VR, Kugathasan G, Hayne D, Rukin NJ, Wallace DM.
Int J Surg. 2013 Oct;11(8):728. doi: 10.1016/j.ijsu.2013.06.754. Epub 2013 Nov 1. No abstract available.
Is laparoscopic pyeloplasty a suitable procedure for urological trainees?
Kugathasan G, Lok A, Rukin NJ, Hayne D, Kuan M.
Int J Surg. 2013 Oct;11(8):727. doi: 10.1016/j.ijsu.2013.06.749. Epub 2013 Nov 1. No abstract available.
Using mobile technology to overcome language barriers in medicine.
Chang D, Thyer Ia, Hayne D, Katz Dj.
Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2014 Sep;96(6):23-5. doi: 10.1308/003588414X13946184903685.
ANZUP - a new co-operative cancer trials group in genito-urinary oncology.
Sengupta S, Grimison P, Hayne D, Williams S, Chambers S, de Souza P, Stockler M, McJannett M, Toner G, Davis ID.
BJU Int. 2014 Sep 5. doi: 10.1111/bju.12925. [Epub ahead of print]
Retrograde ureteric stent insertion in the management of infected obstructed kidneys.
Flukes S, Hayne D, Kuan M, Wallace M, McMillan K, Rukin NJ.
BJU Int. 2014 Sep 1. doi: 10.1111/bju.12918. [Epub ahead of print]
The conservative management of renal trauma: a literature review and practical clinical guideline from Australia and New Zealand.
McCombie S, Thyer I, Corcoran N, Rowling C, Dyer J, Le Roux A, Kuan M, Wallace D, Hayne D.
BJU Int. 2014 Aug 14. doi: 10.1111/bju.12902. [Epub ahead of print]
Protocol for the ProCare Trial: a Phase II randomised controlled trial of shared care for follow-up of men with prostate cancer.
Authors: JD Emery, J Doorey, M Jefford, M King, M Pirotta, D Hayne, A Martin, L Trevena, T Lim, R Constable, C Hawks, A Hyatt, A Hamid, J Violet, S Gill, M Frydenberg, P Schofield.
BMJ Open 2014;4:e004972
The outcome of a multi-centre feasibility study of Online Adaptive Radiotherapy for Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer TROG 10.01 BOLART
F Foroudi, A Tan, C Tang, C Jose, S Williams, S Marketa, G Hruby, A Rolfo, K Gogna, M Lehman, P Daniel, M Bressel, T Kron, S Turner, D Hayne
In press Radiotherapy and Oncology 2014
A randomised controlled trial comparing use of lignocaine periprostatic nerve block alone and in combination with diclofenac suppository for patients undergoing transrectal ultrasound(TRUS) guided biopsy of prostate.
WL Ooi, C Hawks, A Tan, D Hayne
BJU Int. 2014 Nov;114 Suppl 1:45-9. doi: 10.1111/bju.12610.
Intravesical chemotherapy plus bacille Calmette-Guérin in non-muscle invasive bladder cancer: a systematic review with meta-analysis.
Houghton BB, Chalasani V, Hayne D, Grimison P, Brown CS, Patel MI, Davis ID, Stockler MR.
BJU Int. 2013 May;111(6):977-83
Intravesical therapies for bladder cancer - indications and limitations.
Logan C, Brown M, Hayne D.
BJU Int. 2012 Dec;110 Suppl 4:12-21.
'One stop' haematuria clinic in Fremantle Hospital, Western Australia: a report of the first 500 patients.
Ooi WL, Lee F, Wallace DM, Hayne D.
BJU Int. 2011 Nov;108 Suppl 2:62-6
Re: Willem Oosterlinck, Ziya Kirkali, Richard Sylvester, et al. Sequential Intravesical Chemoimmunotherapy with Mitomycin C and Bacillus Calmette-Guérin and with Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Alone in Patients with Carcinoma in Situ of the Urinary Bladder: Results of an EORTC Genito-Urinary Group Randomized Phase 2 Trial (30993). Eur Urol. 2011;59:438-46.
Ooi WL, Stockler M, Hayne D.
Eur Urol. 2011 Apr 5
EORTC radiation proctitis-specific quality of life module - pretesting in four European countries.
Halkett G, Aoun S, Hayne D, Lund JA, Gruen A, Villa J, Livi L, Arcangeli S, Velikova G, Spry N; EORTC Quality of Life Group.
Radiother Oncol. 2010 Nov;97(2):294-300. Epub 2010 May 4.
Ultrasensitive prostate specific antigen assay following laparoscopic radical prostatectomy - an outcome measure for defining the learning curve.
Viney R, Gommersall L, Zeif J, Hayne D, Shah Z, Doherty A.
Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2009 Apr 30
Hyperbaric oxygen treatment of chronic refractory radiation proctitis: a randomized and controlled double-blind crossover trial with long-term follow-up: in regard to Clarke et al. (Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2008 Mar 12).
Hayne D, Smith AE.
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008 Dec 1;72(5):1621; author reply 1621. No abstract available.
Nanotechnology and Its Relevance to the Urologist.
Gommersall L, Shergill IS, Ahmed HU, Hayne D, Arya M, Patel HR, Hashizume M, Gill IS.
Eur Urol. 2007 Aug;52(2):368-75.
Delayed Presentation of Arteriovenous fistula 20 years after blunt renal trauma
T Aulakh, D Hayne, David Hinwood, FRCR
Int Urol Nephrol. 2007;39(3):713-5
Nurse-led flexible cystoscopy: Experience from one UK centre.
Rattay T, Hayne D, Short L, Apakama I, Prasad K.
BJU Int. 2006 Dec;98(6):1329-30. No abstract available.
A prospective randomised trial comparing conventional TURP with Plasmakinetic vaporisation of the prostate: physiological changes, early complications and long term follow up.
NHY Hon, D Brathwaite, Z Hussain, S Ghiblawi, H Brace, D Hayne, SWV Coppinger
J Urol. 2006 Jul;176(1):205-9
A randomised, placebo-controlled trial demonstrating that finasteride reduces prostatic vascularity within 2 weeks.
J.F. Donohue, D.Hayne, U. Karnik, D.R Thomas, M.C. Foster
BJU Int. 2005 Dec;96(9):1319-22
New phosphodiesterase inhibitors in the treatment of erectile dysfunction.
Anderson PC, Gommersall L, Hayne D, Arya M, Patel HR.
Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2004 Nov;5(11):2241-9.
Current Trends in Bladder Cancer in England and Wales
D Hayne , M Arya, MJ Quinn, PJ Babb, CJM Beacock, HRH Patel
J Urol. 2004 Sept:172,1051-1055
Allogeneic Stem Cell transplantation in renal cell cancer: a revolutionary immunotherapy?
L Gommersall, D Hayne, C Lynch, M Arya, H Patel
Lancet Oncol. 2004 Sep;5(9):561-7
Pharmacological Management of Metastatic Boney Pain
Viney R, Hayne D, Gommersall LM, Ayra M , Patel HRH
Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2004 Jul;5(7):1555-63.
Physiological changes of the anorectum following pelvic radiotherapy for the treatment of prostate and bladder cancer
RS Kushwaha, D. Hayne, E Wrightham, CJ Vaizey, HA Payne H, PB Boulos
Dis Colon Rectum. 2003 Sep;46(9):1182-8
Luteinising Hormone releasing hormone analogues in the treatment of prostate cancer
L.M. Gommersall, D. Hayne, I Shergill, M Arya, DMA Wallace
Expert Opin. Pharmacother: 2002 ;3(12):1685-1692
Anorectal Irradiation Following Pelvic Radiotherapy - an assessment using in-vivo dosimetry
D. Hayne, U.Johnson, D.D’Souza, P.B.Boulos, H.A.Payne
Clin Oncol 2001;13(2):126-129
Anorectal Injury Following Pelvic Radiotherapy
D. Hayne, C.Vaizey, P.B.Boulos
Current trends in colorectal cancer: site, incidence, mortality and survival in England &
D.Hayne, R.S.D Brown, M.McCormack, M.J.Quinn, H.A.Payne, P.Babb
Clin Oncol 2001;13(6):448-52.
First report of an isolated jejuna seminoma: Presentation with melaena and iron deficiency anaemia
Brown, RSD; Yassin, J; Hayne, D, Colville C, Harland SJ, Payne HA
Clin Oncol 2001;13(6):455-57
Haemangiopericytoma of the seminal vesicle presenting with hypoglycaemia
Arya M., Hayne D, Brown R.S.D, O’Donnell P.J, Mundy A.R
J Urol 2001;166,992
Primary anterior urethral transitional cell carcinoma : a rare tumour
Arya M, Brown R.S.D, Hayne D, Patel H.R.H, Harland S.J.
Eur J Surg Oncol. 2001;27 (6):607-608
Massive mediastinal seminoma post-orchidectomy: Late relapse with skip-metastases or new primary?
Brown R.S.D., Hayne D, Burcombe R.J, Coulter C.A.E
Scand J Urol and Nephrol.2001;35(5):422-424
1. Sequential BCG and mitomycin intra-vesical therapy versus BCG alone for high-risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC): Pilot study and proposal for a 2-stage randomized phase III trial.
Dickon Hayne, Martin Stockler, Angela Ives, Baerin Houghton, Philomena Braganza, Venu Chalasani, Manish Patel, and on behalf of the ANZUP bladder cancer sub-committee
BJU Int. 2011; 107(s1): 25
2. Intravesical chemotherapy plus BCG in non muscle invasive bladder cancer - a systematic review with meta-analysis
B. Houghton, D. Hayne, C. Brown, V. Chalasani, M. Patel, I. Davis, M.Stockler
Asia Pacific Journal of Oncology. Abstract 201. Volume 6, Supplement 3, November 2010
Award: ‘COSA best of the best poster for clinical research’
3. A New ‘One-Stop Haematuria Clinic’ at Fremantle Hospital: Short Report and Audit of Outcomes in the first 200 patients
Ooi WL Lee F, D Hayne
BJU Int 2010; 105 (S1) 11-12
4. Disease progression requiring radical treatment in patients not compliant with maintainence BCG regime.
P Patel, N Rukin, I Wharton, R Haley, H Ibrahim, J Parkin, D Hayne
BJU Int 2010; 105 (S1) 4
5. Natural history of patients with hormone refractory prostate cancer (HRPC): Are they living longer?
P Patel, V Houston, D Hayne, N D James
BJU Int 2010; 105 (S1) 32
6. Long-term clinical and physiological assessment of anorectal function after pelvic radiotherapy
RS Kushwaha, D. Hayne, HA Payne H, PB Boulos
Dis Colon Rectum. 2008 51(5):713
7. Clinical and physiological assessment of anorectal function after three-dimensional conformal versusconventional pelvic radiotherapy
Author(s): Kushwaha, R; Hayne, D; Payne, H, et al.
Dis Colon Rectum. 2008 51(5):714
8. Patient’s Satisfaction Following Transfer of Care from a District General Hospital to Its Designated Cancer Center
Fotini Manizate, Dickon Hayne, B. D. Sarmah, Hemant Ojha
BJUI 2007 99 S4 p24-25
9. Anorectal dysfunction after 3-D conformal radiotherapy for localised prostate cancer
Dickon Hayne, Nula Allen, Dan Ashdown, Amanda Mellon, John Glaholm, Mike Foster
Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases (2006) 9, p311
10. A prospective randomised trial comparing conventional TURP with Plasmakinetic vaporisation of the prostate: physiological changes, early complications and long term follow up.
NHY Hon, D Brathwaite, Z Hussain, S Ghiblawi, H Brace, D Hayne, SWV Coppinger
Presented at AUA 2006
11. Radiation dose during fluoroscopic-guided urological procedures: are patients being put at undue risk?
D Hayne, R Viney, U Otite, NHY Hon, AWS Elves, SWC Coppinger
Journal of Endourology. Jul 2005, Vol. 19. Supplement 1: p121
12. Finasteride Rapidly Reduces Prostatic Vascularity: A Randomized Placebo Controlled Study
J.F. Donohue, D. Hayne, N.J. Barber, and U. Karnig*, D.R. Thomas, M.C. Foster.
J Urol (AUA San Antionio 2005)
13. Discrepancies In The Coding Of Superficial Bladder Cancer – An Audit Comparing Data Between A District General Hospital (DGH) And Its Regional Cancer Intelligence Unit (RCIU)
D Hayne, B Somani, C Mellors, AM Light, H Ojha, DR Thomas, MC Foster
Br J Cancer 2004; 91 (S1):33
14. Anorectal dysfunction after radiotherapy for bladder and prostate cancer
Dickon Hayne, Bhaskar Somani, Rajeev S Kushwaha, Elisa Wrightham, Heather A Payne, Paul B Boulos
Br J Cancer 2004; 91 (S1):38
15. Finasteride and its early effect on Prostatic Microvasculature
Donohue JF, Barber NJ, Hayne D, Karnik U, Thomas DR, Foster MC
BJU Int 2004:93 (S4):110
16. Anal Canal Injury after Pelvic Radiotherapy -Quantitative Assessment with Gadolinium Enhanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging
F. Abbasakoor, D. Hayne, C. Hare, H. Payne and P.B. Boulos
BJS 2004; 91 (S1):86.
17. Percutaneous removal of impacted upper ureteric stones
Z Hussain, AWS Elves, D.Hayne, SWV Coppinger
BJU Int 2002; 30(S1): 61
18. Physiological Changes of the Anorectum Following Pelvic Radiotherapy
RS Kushwaha, D.Hayne, E.Wrightham, C.Vaizey, H.A.Payne, P.B.Boulos
BJS 2002; 89 (5): 639.
19. Examination of anorectal morphology after pelvic radiotherapy
Kushwaha RS, Hayne D, Vaizey C, Hare C, Boulos PB;
Colorectal Disease 2002; 4 (Suppl. 1): 53
20. Physiological Changes of the Anorectum Following Pelvic Radiotherapy
RS Kushwaha, D.Hayne, E.Wrightham, C.Vaizey, H.A.Payne, P.B.Boulos
Dis Col Rectum 2002; 45 (4): A9-A10.
21. Bladder Cancer Trends over the Last 25 Years: Incidence, Mortality and Survival in England and Wales
M Arya, D.Hayne, M.J.Quinn, P.Babb, H.R.H.Patel
BJU 2001; 88 (S1):31
22. Anorectal Irradiation during Radiotherapy for Carcinoma of the Prostate: A Comparison of Helax Predicted and Diode Measured Doses
Hayne D, Johnson U, Brown R S D, D'Souza D, Hare C, Boulos PB, Payne HA
Br J Cancer 2001; 85 (S1):62.
23. Acute Functional Disturbance in the Anorectum Following Pelvic Radiotherapy
D.Hayne, C.Vaizey, H.A.Payne, P.B.Boulos
Colorectal Disease July 2001; Vol 3 Suppl 1; 20 57
24. Trends in Colorectal Carcinoma Incidence, Mortality and Survival in England and Wales 1971-1999
R.S.D Brown, D.Power, M.McCormack, D.Hayne, H.A.Payne
Clin Oncol 2000 12(6):414-415
25. Anorectal Irradiation After Pelvic Radiotherapy- an assessment using in-vivo dosimetry
D.Hayne, U.Johnson, D.D’Souza, P.B.Boulos, H.A.Payne,
Br J Cancer 2000; 83(S1): 46
International Cross-Cultural Field Validation of an EORTC Questionnaire Module for patients who may be experiencing radiation proctitis
Nigel Spry, Georgia Halkett, Samar Aoun and Dickon Hayne
EORTC Quality of Life Group Newsletter Spring 2009 Issue#8
'Alarming Rise in female bladder cancer in UK’
Urology Times Sept 2004
'Trends in bladder cancer in UK’
Urology Times Feb 2002
‘The Lost Tribe’ – Hunting the NTN.
ASiT Newsletter Winter 2001
‘Royal Colleges must oppose proposal to restrict private practice to senior consultants’ and Re:Re:above
Letters in eBMJ 2001
- Roles, responsibilities and expertise
- Professor Dickon Hayne is clinical academic who leads the urological research team within the the School of Surgery and is responsible for undergraduate education in urology at the University of Western Australia. He works as consultant urological surgeon at Fremantle Hospital, WA. He is Deputy Chair for the Bladder cancer Sub-committee of the Australian & New Zealand Urogenital & Prostate Cancer Trials Group (ANZUP) and is widely engaged in other sub-committees and activities of ANZUP.
He is lead clinician for the Urological Tumour Collaborative of the WA Cancer and Palliative care Network (WACPCN) and is the chair of the charitable research organisation the West Australian Urologic Research Organisation. His major clinical and research interests are urological cancer particularly bladder cancer.
- Future research
- Sequential BCG and mitomycin intra-vesical therapy versus BCG alone for high-risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC): 2 stage randomized phase III trial.
- Funding received
- Sept 2013CAPREU Reasons for delays in referrals for patients with haematuria $20000
Jan 2013Cancer Australia “Adding MMC to BCG for high-risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer: a randomised phase 3 trial”
Nov 2012Fremantle Hospital Research Foundation - $15000
‘Penile Cancer in WA’
‘Is bladder cancer presenting at, or being diagnosed at, a more advanced stage in Western Australia? – An investigation of the WA Cancer Registry data for the periods (1982-1986), (2000-2004) and (2007-2011).
A phase II trial of follow-up of men with prostate cancer in primary care (CIF)
Oct 2010 Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia
Equipment Grant(Bone densiometry): Co-Investigator
July 2009 Faculty Teaching and Learning Committee
$6,000 awarded (CIA)
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences Seeding Grant
July 2008 Faculty Teaching and Learning Committee
$5,000 awarded (CIA)
WA Cancer & Palliative Care Network grant for ‘One stop Haematuria Clinic’
$30,000 awarded (CIA)
- Industrial relevance
- Consultancy and Advisory Board Abbott Australia
GlaxoSmithKline: Speaker Meetings and Education
- Urogenital & Prostate Cancer Trials Group
Australian Medical Association
British Association of Urological Surgeons
Clinical Academics Staff Association
Medical Indemnity Protection Society
Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
Royal College of Surgeons of England
Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand
WA Cancer and Palliative Care Network (Lead clinician Urology)
WA Multidisciplinary Laparoscopic Group
- Honours and awards
- Keith Kirkland Prize - USANZ Darwin 2012 (senior author)
Best of Session - USANZ Darwin 2012 (senior author)
"Best of the Best Poster for Clinical Research" (Co-author)
COSA - Nov 2010
Lewis Medical Travelling Scholarship (Best paper)
SURG 2005 - Sept 2005
Guy Baines Prize and Medal (Best Paper)
Midlands Urological Club - April 2002
Alan Edwards Memorial Prize (Best Paper)
British Association of Surgical Oncology - Nov 2000