Asst/Prof Deena Ashoorian
Medicine and Pharmacology, School of, Pharmacology, Pharmacy and Anaesthesiology Unit
- Contact details
- School of Medicine and Pharmacology - Pharmacology, Pharmacy and Anaesthesiology Unit
The University of Western Australia (M315)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 6488 7516
- +61 8 6488 7532
- Room G11, Curnow Building, Crawley campus
- BPharm WAIT
- I am a local graduate with 25 years experience in retail pharmacy. My prime interest is in pharmacy practice and the complexities of patient care especially communication with patients, carers and other health professionals. I am a mental health researcher and currently investigating the self-reported effects of medications and the importance/significance of these to patients. I am also an accredited Mental Health First Aid Instructor.
- Key research
- Communication and Mental Health
- Ashoorian D, Salter S, Denton T, Nguyen F, Crisp L, Boase L, et al. The use of Enhancing Quality Use of Medication Self-Reported Questionnaire (EQUIM-SRQ) among mental health consumers: a pilot study. Austr Psychiatry. 2012; 20(4): 327-332.
Ashoorian D, Rock D, Davidson R, Gudka S, Clifford R. A review of self-report medication side effect questionnaires for mental health patients. Psych Research 2014; (219): 664-673.
Ashoorian D, Davidson R, Rock D, Dragovic M, Clifford R. Construction and validation of the My Medicines and Me Questionnaire for assessment of the self-reported side effects of psychotropic medication. Int Clin Psychopharm. 2015: http://journals.lww.com/intclinpsychopharm/Abstract/publishahead/Construction_and_validation_of_the_My_Medicines.99709.aspx
Ashoorian D, Davidson R, Rock D, Seubert L, Clifford R. Development of the My Medicines and Me (M3Q) side effect questionnaire for mental health patients: a qualitative study. Ther Adv Psychopharmacol. 2015; ‘in press’
- Funding received
- Pharmaceutical Society of Western Australia JM O’Hara Research Grant
The Mental Health Commission of Western Australia
Richmond Fellowship WA
- I am registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) and a member of the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia. In addition, I hold registration with the California State Board of Pharmacy in the United States.
- Honours and awards
- 2014 recipient of the Innovator Pharmacist of the Year Award by the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia (WA Branch)