Professor Kevin Croft
Medicine and Pharmacology, School of, Royal Perth Hospital Unit
- Contact details
- School of Medicine and Pharmacology Royal Perth Hospital Unit
The University of Western Australia (M570)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 9224 0275
- +61 8 9224 0246
- BAppChem Curtin, PhD W.Aust.
- Professorial Fellow in the School of Medicine and Pharmacology.
- Key research
- Nutrition and cardiovascular disease. Antioxidants and oxidative stress.
- Arachidonic acid metabolism by CYP450 pathway,
- ethothelial function, blood pressure.
- Biomarkers of oxidative damage.
- Dietary polyphenol metabolism.
- 195 peer reviewed publications, examplesof recent publications include;
Waddington E, Puddey IB, Croft KD. Red wine polyphenolic compounds inhibit atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice independent of effects on lipid peroxidation. Am J Clin Nutr. 79: 54-61, 2004.
Ward NC, Rivera J, Hodgson JH, Puddey IB, Beilin LJ,Falck JR, Croft KD. Urinary 20-Hydroxyeicosatetraenoic Acid is Associated with Endothelial Dysfunction in Humans. Circulation 110: 438-443, 2004.
Wu J, Hodgson JM, Ward NC, Clarke MW, Puddey IB, Croft KD. Nitration of -tocopherol prevents its oxidative metabolism by HepG2 cells. Free Radic Biol Med 39: 483-494, 2005.
Clarke MW, Ward NC, Wu JHY, Hodgson JM, Puddey IB, Croft KD. Supplementation with mixed tocopherols increases serum and blood cell gamma-tocopherol, but does not alter biomarkers of platelet activation in subjects with type 2 diabetes. Am J Clin Nutr 83: 95-102, 2006.
Ward NC, Wu J, Clarke MW, Puddey IB, Burke V, Croft KD, Hodgson JM. The effects of Vitamin E on blood pressure in individuals with type 2 diabetes. A randomised, double-blind, placebo controlled trial. J Hypertension 25: 227-234, 2007.
Wu JHY, Ward N, Indrawan AP, Almeida CA, Hodgson JM, Proudfoot JM, Puddey IB, Croft KD. Effects of α-tocopherol and mixed tocopherol supplementation on markers of oxidative stress and inflammation in type 2 diabetes. Clinical Chemistry 53: 511-519, 2007.
Datla S, Dusting GJ, Mori TA, Taylor CJ, Croft KD, Jiang F. Induction of heme oxygenase-1 in vivo suppresses NADPH oxidase-derived oxidative stress. Hypertension 50: 636-642, 2007.
Tsai IJ, Beilin LJ, Puddey IB, Croft KD, Barden A, Impaired ex vivo leukotriene B4 production characterizes the metabolic syndrome and is improved after weight reduction. J Clin Endocrinology & Metabolism 92: 4747-4752, 2007.
Loke WM, Proudfoot JM, Stewart S, McKinley AJ, Needs PW, Kroon PA, Hodgson JM, Croft KD. Metabolic transformation has a profound effect on anti-inflammatory activity of flavonoids such as quercetin: Lack of association between antioxidant and lipoxygenase inhibitory activity. Biochem Pharmacol. 75: 1045-1053, 2008.
Ward NC, Tsai IJ, Barden A, van Bockxmeer FM, Puddey IB, Hodgson JM, Croft KD. A single nucleotide polymorphism in the CYP4F2 but not CYP4A11 gene is associated with increased 20-HETE excretion and BP. Hypertension 51: 1393-1398, 2008.
Woodward M, Croft KD, Mori TA, Headlam H, Wang XS, Suarna C, Raftery MJ, MacMahon SW, Stocker R. The association between both lipid and protein oxidation and the risk of fatal or non-fatal coronary heart disease in a human population. Clin Sci. 116: 53-60, 2009.
Loke WM, Hodgson JM, Proudfoot JM, McKinley AJ, Puddey IB, Croft KD. Pure dietary flavonoids, quercetin and (-) epicatechin augment nitric oxide products and reduce endothelin-1 acutely in healthy human volunteers. Am J Clin Nutr 88: 1018-1025, 2008.
- Roles, responsibilities and expertise
- Professorial Fellow and director of the Biomedical Mass Spectrometry facility.
Chair of the Animal Ethics Committee of Royal Perth Hospital. Member of the Board of Graduate Studies.
- Future research
- Dietary polyphenols and cardiovascular risk.
Role of CYP450 metabolites of arachdonic acid in control of endothelial function and blood pressure.
Mechanism of nitric oxide regulation by dietary flavonoids.
- Funding received
- National Health and Medical Research Council.
National Heart Foundation of Australia.
Australian Research Council Linkage Grants.
- Industrial relevance
- Food and agricultural products.
Bioassays for new drug development.
- Australasian Society for Free Radical Research.
Australian Atherosclerosis Society.
Australian Society for Medical Research.
- Honours and awards
- International Atherosclerosis Society Fellowship
- Current projects
- Several projects on bioactive dietary polyphenols in human and mice models. Regulation of endothelial function by CYP450 metabolites of arachidonic acid. Biomarkers of oxidative stress.
Development of new mass spectrometry based assays.